At this time of year, it’s important not to get too wrapped up (excuse the pun) in the whole commercial aspect of Christmas and try and remember that at the heart of it, Christmas is a time of year for spending with family and friends. Today I was reminded of how great great friends can be, and so I wanted to write a ‘thank you’ list to God/The Universe for all the blessings in my life. Sometimes I get so caught up in my debt problems and what I don’t have, that I forget that I am actually very blessed in my life. So here goes….
1. I am thankful for my son, for his health, his intelligence and loving nature. He can be a complete pain in the arse sometimes but I know deep down that he is here to teach me more about myself, love and life than anyone else on the planet.
2. I am thankful for my family. We may argue, scream, swear we’ll never speak again but I know deep down that we are all here for each other.
3. I am thankful for my friends. They are some of the greatest people I know. I promise that this year I will try and be there more for them and do more with them. After all when we’re older, I want us to look back and laugh at the times we had together.
4. I am thankful for my health, my independence and the fact that in this modern time and country I am relatively free as a woman to do and be who I want. There may be glass ceilings and other feminist issues still to contend with but there is also a whole heap of inspirational women out there for me to look up to and believe in.
5. I am thankful for the roof over my head, my heating, the food in my fridge and all the other creature comforts that we take for granted sometimes. I know that it is a game of chance where we are born and we could just as easily have been born somewhere without all these things.
6. A strange one maybe but I am thankful for my ex. Not only did he teach me a lot about myself but he has become a terrific dad to my son and I am so grateful that we now have a good relationship and are not bickering like so many split up couples with kids.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and New Year. Hope that you are as blessed, if not more so and spending your time with your loved ones.